Trying to avoid any complications at the time of an accident, take many pictures of the accident including all vehicles involved. Taking pictures of the driver's license and physical plate numbers can help too. Taking pictures of the road conditions are ideal too. Check for witnesses. Record the names of any witnesses to assist the police with their investigation. Keep a copy of the names for your insurance company or lawyer in case any legal action follows. Do not admit fault or any other liability before discussing the details of the collision with your insurance adjuster.
The first step is to call SGI's Dial-a-Claim at the claims center that is most convenient to you or to visit our website at and file an eclaim.

Calling Dial-a-Claim will help you avoid a long wait at the claims center and is the fastest way to get your vehicle repaired. When you report the claim, SGI will set up an appointment to have your vehicle appraised and the damage assessed. To help you avoid delays, please don't visit your claims center for an appraisal without first calling.

If you choose to use the eclaim service, a fillable online form, an SGI adjuster will contact you via telephone often in the same day. You can also provide your statement and witness names on the eclaim form, as well as book your appointment at the claims centre of your choice to have the vehicle appraised and the damage assessed.

If your vehicle is not drivable, you will make arrangements with an adjuster. Your vehicle will be towed to a location where the damage can be appraised.

To speed up the process when you go online or call, have the following information on hand: your driver's license, the vehicle registration and if you have one your auto pak policy number. SGI will also need the driver's license number of other drivers and license plate numbers of other vehicles involved in the collision, and the police file number if they were called.

Accidents must be reported to the police under any of the following circumstances:
  • If the collision results in injury or death
  • If it's a hit and run
  • If a driver is impaired
  • If any of the vehicles involved have to be towed from the scene
  • If the collision involves an out of province vehicle

If you have suffered a property loss (anything you own besides a vehicle or part of a vehicle), immediately call your broker. Your broker has the information about your insurance coverage and will record the details of the claim you're filing. Your broker will advise on how to start the claims process.

If your property has been damaged, you should take steps right away to prevent further damage by covering broken windows, securing broken doors, etc. Taking these extra steps will not hinder the settlement of your claim. It can also be a good to take digital photos of the damage to keep a record.

Don't throw away any damaged property before your adjuster arrives. The adjuster needs to see all the damage, so he or she can make an accurate calculation of your loss. It's also a good idea to keep receipts for any major purchases. That way, if you ever have to file a claim, it's easier for us to determine the value of your belongings.

The time it takes to settle your claim depends on how complicated it is. In some cases, a cheque can be issued on the spot.
In order to set up your MySGI account to enable online transactions with SGI you will have to contact our office via telephone. We will confirm your identity by asking you your name, date of birth, mailing address and types of vehicles currently registered in your name. Once we have confirmed your identity we will register your email address to your account and send an authorization code to your email with instructions of how to create a username and password for your account. For future uses, go to to login.

With your MySGI account you can complete vehicle renewals, including Registration Eligibility Declarations for AutoPay registrations, cancel license plates, update some personal information, order drivers abstracts and pay invoices and annual driver's license fees.
If you are changing your address there is no charge, however if we are changing your name, height or other information shown on your photo id card there is a $10 fee ($20 if you would like a new photo at the same time).
In order to change your name we require the vital statistics document showing the legal name change. If you have gotten married we require the marriage certificate, and if you are returning to your maiden name we require either a copy of the divorce certificate OR the marriage certificate AND your birth certificate. There is a $10 fee to change your name.
There is a $10 charge for a non-driver photo ID card. SGI does allow us to waive this fee should you be over age 65. Please call our office to ask about the ID requirements in place to receive a photo ID card, the requirements change frequently and without notice.
The registered owner must sign to cancel license plates; if possible it is best for the owner to visit the office to cancel the plates. If the registered owner is unavailable they can write an authorization letter authorizing a third party to cancel their plates or you can cancel your plates through your MySGI account.

You are also able to cancel license plates through your mysgi account by visiting, you may need to call us in order to register for an account the first time you sign in.
A vehicle must be at least 30 years old to qualify for antique status. You must also have another vehicle registered in your name for primary use and the antique vehicle cannot be used for commercial or farm purposes. The vehicle would be insured for $800 under the license plate insurance and carry a $500 deductible. If the vehicle is more valuable you can have it appraised and purchase a stated value auto pak policy. Call our office for details 1.888.450.2700.
For convenience there are three different ways you can request an abstract. You can come into an office, over the phone, or through your MySGI account by visiting Either option you choose, there is a $10 fee.
The Saskatchewan plate insurance will apply only if the vehicle is being operated in accordance with the motor vehicle licensing regulations of Saskatchewan as well as the jurisdiction in which the vehicle is being operated. We recommend you call each jurisdiction you are travelling through before to confirm you are compliant. You must be in compliance with the jurisdiction the vehicle is in at all times.
If your vehicle is insured by an extension policy in addition to the Saskatchewan plate insurance and it includes Road Hazard Glass coverage with either a $50 or $100 deductible, the damage, if repairable, is covered without deductible. You must report to an approved glass repair shop and provide your extension policy number and/or contact our office.
Vehicles Purchased in the USA
  • Review information found at
  • Check the Transport Canada website
  • Check the vehicle's VIN at (Theft and Fraud Awareness – VIN Check)
We suggest a Saskatchewan VIN search, which can be found at (free) as well as a national VIN search for used vehicles, a $10 fee applies to the national search. This may show previous insurable damage, or if the vehicle has a "status" which may prevent it from being registered.

Check with the state that the vehicle is purchased in, and also with the states you will be traveling through on your way home, for permit/licensing requirements. We suggest a Temporary Insurance Card from our office insurance; it is an $11 fee.

Check with Canada Customs Re: GST and importing of a vehicle
  • GST – 5%
  • K22 (Form 1) vehicle import form – must have 2 RIV stamps before the vehicle can be registered
  • Federal Government Import Fee - $195 + tax
Purchase a permit for transporting the vehicle from Canada Customs to your home. If the permit you received from the US does not provide for travel direct to your home in Canada, a $20 fee and a copy of the bill of sale is require to purchase a permit.

There may be up to a two-week delay between crossing the border to when you receive the Federal Government stamp that allows you to license the vehicle in Saskatchewan. You may want to consider a "trip transit" auto pak policy while the vehicle is parked, while you are driving the vehicle back to Saskatchewan or while operating the vehicle without a Temporary Insurance Card. It will also help lower your deductible and increase the liability provided by the Temporary Insurance Card.

To license a new vehicle, you will need to provide:
  • Certificate of origin
  • Vehicle import form 1 (K22) at the border - must have 2 RIV stamps before the vehicle can be registered
  • Bill of Sale
  • Federal Vehicle Inspection Form, the second stamp on the K22, this may take up to 2 weeks
To license a used vehicle, you will need to provide:
  • Light vehicle inspection certificate for a first time registered vehicle
  • Vehicle import form 1 (K220 at the border - must have 2 RIV stamps before the vehicle can be registered
  • Bill of sale
  • Federal vehicle inspection form, the second stamp on the K22, this may take up to 2 weeks
  • NOTE: the $3000 PST exemption does not apply to out of country purchases.
No, any vehicle that requires a license to operate whether licensed or in storage, must be insured under an auto policy. Motorcycles, ATVs and watercraft may require special insurance. Call us for more information.
Home and Auto claims free discounts may vary among insurers. Please contact our office for specifics.
If your home policy provides Guaranteed Replacement Cost protection, the insured must provide the most accurate and up-to-date details of the home construction. The Guaranteed Replacement Cost coverage may be deleted if work or renovations are not reported to us within 60 days of starting the work. Any material changes must be reported to the insurance company or your insurance coverage may not extend.
The dwelling value shown on your policy is estimated on the current reconstruction costs of your home. This amount may not reflect current market values but rather estimated labour and material costs including compliance with current building codes to build a new home on the same site should you suffer a total loss. Also included is the demolition of the damaged structure and removal of the debris prior to construction of the new home.
Policy premiums reflect the loss history over the preceding 3 to 5 years. Discounts may be applied in cases where the policy has not been used. When a policy is used for a loss of any type, the premium may be affected for next renewal periods, regardless if the claim was preventable or not. In some cases insurance companies will also ask that you install preventative measures to avoid future losses, such as installing a sump pump and in-line backwater valve to prevent sewer backup losses or a monitored alarm system to prevent theft losses.

Generally, one loss in a 5 year period results in the loss of the claims free discount for 3 years. Having a second loss in the same 5 year period can result in a rate change on your policy or a surcharge to your rates, companies can also apply restrictions to coverage, increased deductibles or the requirement of installing preventative measures in order to keep coverage for certain perils.
Most policies provide for settlement based upon replacement cost at the time of loss, particularly if the insured dwelling is subject to Guaranteed Replacement Cost. If replacement cost prices have increase; insured limits are adjusted to keep pace with increasing labour and material costs. Insurance policies are also rated on the statistics of claims for various areas of the country, if your area has seen an increase in loss frequency the rates will be adjusted to reflect such.
There are generally three types of home insurance policies, known in the industry as Standard (basic), Broad (a combination of basic and all risk), and Comprehensive (or all risk).

The Standard provides protection against a number of named perils, which might cause damage to the dwelling and its contents. Named perils often include such things as fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, theft and certain types of water damage.

The Broad policy improves on the Standard policy by offering a combination of All Risk and Basic coverage for the dwelling and the contents. Insurance companies treat this differently and you'll need to ask your broker to explain this further.

The Comprehensive policy provides all risk coverage on both the dwelling and the contents. This is usually the best coverage that you can buy because it covers you for "All Risks of loss or damage" subject to certain exclusions.
You need to talk to your broker for an explanation of what you are covered for on your policy. Usually water damage caused by water overflow from the plumbing system, bust pipes, etc will be covered. But damage from prolonged or continuous seepage will not be covered because it is not a sudden, accidental occurrence.

As well, leaky basements from poor drainage or plugged downspouts will usually not be covered. It is good risk management for a homeowner to ensure that the eaves troughs and downspouts are clean and in working order and that the landscaping around their homes keeps water from collecting near the foundation.

For an additional premium, you can purchase sewer backup coverage, it is best if you check with us to ensure that you have this coverage. In 2016, SGI Canada released a coverage called water protection, that now offers insureds coverage for flood, ground water, and surface water that can be added onto your home policy. Failure to not purchase available coverages could result in denial of disaster relief programs.
The Condominium Corporation is usually responsible to cover your unit for the value as originally built. If in your renovating you have improved the value of your condo by replacing with higher quality materials, you are responsible to insure the betterment value on your condo insurance.

Most condo policies automatically cover betterments or improvements to a specified limit. Please check your policy or all our office for assistance.

It is a good idea to obtain a copy of your Condominium Corporations Bylaws to ascertain what you are provided in the way of insurance by the Corporation and for what you must obtain insurance.
If you own or rent personal property, insurance will protect you if the property is damaged or destroyed. Personal property insurance, such as home or tenant insurance, reimburses you for your financial loss arising from mishaps that are generally "sudden and accidental" and hard to predict or prevent. There are many different insurance options available to you, so it's important to have your broker explain them to you.

Also, if you cause damage to your own apartment or to other apartments; if you had a grease fire on your stove or if you let the tub run over, you could do serious damage to the building or to other tenant's belongings. Like homeowners policies the tenant policy not only protects your belongings, but also provides liability insurance to protect against lawsuits as a result of damage or injury you have caused to others.
Recently, the insurance companies released a coverage you can add onto your home policy to provide coverage on your home systems, equipment and appliances if they break down. Many homeowners don’t realize their costly home systems are not typically covered by their home policy and for only a fraction of the cost of a manufacturer’s or extended warranty the big ticket items can be covered. Some examples of covered home equipment covered are, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps, radiant floor heating, central air conditioning, pool, spa or sauna equipment, computers and wireless devices, home entertainment equipment and more! There is no age restriction on items, or maintenance clause.
Most homeowners aren't aware they are responsible for the repairs and maintenance of underground service lines on their property. Service Line Coverage protects you from the high costs associated with digging up, repairing or replacing service lines and restoring landscaping. It includes repairs to underground pipes and wiring that bring water, but also to power, data and communications to your home and other structures, when the damage occurs on your property.

Please contact us directly and speak with an insurance broker at 306.955.2700.


Click here for insurance quotes: SGI Canada eQuotes

Follow us on Facebook Find us on Twitter Google+